Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Discipline

I have been thinking much about discipling my children. A few parents I spoke to tell me that they cane their children. And if it is real bad; they will "cane like there is no tomorrow". The children will remember the punishment and will behave in future.

Last night I had a discipline episode with Denise. I was contemplating if I should (like what my friends have shared) cane her. Anyway, we do not have a cane at home. We only use Mr Spoon... Maybe give her a few smacks and make her remember!!!

But I couldn't bring myself to do it... She was giving excuses, blaming others and finally broke down when she knew that she was wrong... And she really cried!

My heart broke whenever Denise starts to sob! And they are not "crocodile tears" or out of manipulation... They are remorseful tears. I know "spare the rod and spoil the child"... But I must say that Denise is a very sensible girl.

I remember during her baby dedication, Ps Ulf said, "this baby will grow up, understanding complicated things." She has always been a child whom you can reason with. Comparing to other children her age, she is really rather mature. Even though she is a year end (Dec 27) baby, she definitely does not lose out to her "2003" older peers.

I believe in discipline. I still use Mr Spoon. In fact, Debbie is VERY scared of Mr Spoon. She has stopped screaming in the house because I told her if she screams, she will wake Mr Spoon up... Haha.... So now, she will "shhh...." at me. She will point to the cupboard where I keep Mr Spoon and tell me "Mr Spoon sleeps" when I speak too loud at home...:p So what did I do?

I choose to reason with Denise. But if need be, Mr Spoon still proves effective...:)

2 comments:

Mummy Kless said...

I think there's no need to use Mr Spoon or the cane as long as the kid is sensible enough and listens to reasoning. Different kids require different method of disciplining, so I think there's no one best way!

My friend uses the thinking chair and face-the-wall punishment. Both will not work for my Joey! She'd think it's a game & can't stop giggling!!!

Unknown said...

Different strokes for different folks, really.

I always believe that we should go with 'Mother's instinct'.

I support your decision. :)