Sunday, October 04, 2009

Huge Milestone for Debbie (And ME!)

*Think I will receive quite a few comments on this post...:p*

It all started on Thursday morning, on the way to Suntec Nursery. Debbie put her finger into her mouth and I thought she had something stuck there. I wanted her to cough it out and out came her milk! I didn't think much about it...

Thursday night, after drinking her milk, she woke up at 2am and vomitted! This time, it was messy and massive! I knew that the stomach flu virus has hit her...:( In fact, the children in Nursery have been hit one by one; Debbie was the last few to get it... A friend recommends drinking Yakult Ace Light. So the children get to enjoy Yakult these few days!

Kept her at home on Friday, diarrhea in the morning and no more vomitting. But before I left for CG on Friday, I fed her milk and when I came home, my maid told me that Debbie vomitted..:( I reckoned that she should not take dairy product for now. In fact, she had no appetite for food and only drank soup for 2 days!!! Heartbreaking to see her so lethargic and skinny... She even fell alseep on the floor while watching TV.

Hmm...believe it or not, both my princesses were breastfed exclusively since young! In other words, no formula and supplement at all (I don't even know how to make formula milk)! Debbie is 27 months and I am still breastfeeding her. Have been thinking about weaning her; but not sure how to or if I want to... I fed Denise till 3 years old! And the reason I stopped was because I was expecting Debbie then. It was easy to wean Denise. I only had to tell her that Mummy has a baby and baby needs the milk... She stopped immediately...:)

On Thursday, I put Debbie to bed without suckling...just patting.

On Friday, she napped without suckling...just patting.

Friday night, she slept by patting again!

You see, Debbie has NEVER slept without suckling... Others can put her to bed; but with ME, she has gotten used to suckling to bed. So when I can put her to bed without her suckling, I think she is ready for weaning.

Last night, she slept without suckling again and this morning, she woke up without asking for the breast....

So I officially annouce here, that I am stopping this 6 years journey with my kids! I am finally stopping breastfeeding...:) Some mothers cried and get all emotional about it. I do feel apprehensive but I am definitely not teary about it...:) Hmm, I see the benefits of breastfeeding in my kids. They are close to me and defintiely stronger in their immunity system. Even when they fall sick, they recover faster. And not to mention the amount of money I saved from milk powder!

And look at my happy Debbie today. She seems to be back to her usual self... Praise the Lord!

6 comments:

Jiahui said...

woohoo! You are one SOLID mummy! 6 years of BF! Power lah!!

Thank God they are getting better. so did e Yakult help? :)

Mummy Kless said...

You are a determined mummy! Take all my 100 hats off you!!! =D

Unknown said...

You are very blessed! I have difficulty weaning my kids...Kellyn at 4, is weaned but not completely...she will ask but I don't give unless she has a bad fall or she is very unwell :P

Unknown said...

Power la! :)

Haha... But I understand the dunno-how-to-make-formula part. I also only VERY recently weaned Jay off breastmilk and am quite clueless when it comes to making formula. Haha!

I am so glad Debbie is feeling all better!

Sharine said...

wow!! congrats on the smooth weaning process!!!

Iris said...

You are a GREAT mummy!

Debbie & Beatrice weaned off with similarity.. they were sick & couldn't hold dairy. It was easy but sad to see them fell sick.