Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Book of Promise & Reward Chart

Denise is turning 6 this December and I suddenly realised that she has GROWN UP! I mean, she prefers dresses and skirts to pants. And when she wear shorts, she prefers those hot pants...:p

I have been asking myself if I am doing well as a mother. In the area of character development and preparing her to be a "lady"... I wonder if there's anything else I can do better. To "express" her independence, sometimes it gets rather hard to expect her to "do as you are told". It's no longer as easy as "Yes, mummy..."

Anyway, I was praying one day (yes, it got spiritual)... I had an idea of starting a Book of Promise and Reward Chart with her. I started her on writing things she promised me on the book and later bring it out to remind her to keep her promise.

For instance, she wanted to wear her spaghetti-stripped top but I was concerned that she would be cold when she comes to my office. I got her to promise that she will wear her sweater when she visits me. It works! When she came to Suntec, I reminded her what she wrote, and she willingly put on her sweater! That was easy! No arguement or whining....:)

Next came the Reward Chart! I got Denise to write down a list of things/tasks which she will be rewarded for if she does them. And it works!


Thus far, a week now, I have no problem waking Denise up every morning and she will go to bed on her own...:) No fuss and no complaints! For every 10 gold dots she accumulates, she can buy a special gift. To encourage her, Daddy already bought her a set of Magic Colouring Markers from Crayola...:) The 2 blue dots at the bottom... Well, she misbehaved....haha....

1 comment:

anonymous said...

I am going to try this!