Sunday, January 10, 2010

Farewell to our Dad and Grandpa

Last Sunday, we were woken up by a startling news. JX's dad passed away in his sleep. He was supposed to wake up at 5am for his usual morning taxi shift. However, my MIL could not wake him up. By the time the paramedic came, they pronounced him dead approximately an hour earlier...

My memory of my FIL is that he was a very quiet man. The only time I heard him talk the most was when he discussed football with JX. He used to drive us around before we bought our car. In fact, during our dating days, JX would send me home at night and his Dad would come and picked him home in his taxi. Indirectly, he was helping us to "pak-tor"...:)

The first time my FIL came to church was for the screening of World Cup 2002 at our Jurong Auditorium. The second time was in 2008 for JX's SOT Graduation. In that service, he lifted up his hands to worship God and even teared a little...:) Could see that he was very proud of JX! Without our knowledge, he told my MIL that he wanted to go to church but it never happened...

My MIL decided on having a Christian funeral. Over the 5 days, relatives, friends from everywhere, colleagues rallied around us. People took turns to spend time with us and bought food for us. Even friends from KL and Jakarta came just to shower us their love and support! We, especially my MIL, were extremely touched!

After the funeral, when JX was packing my FIL's stuff, he found a Christian tracts in the bag that he carried daily. It was titled "What is my life". And among the many pieces of papers in his wallet was a nicely folded piece of paper with a Christian verse on it. It looked like a Thank You note from a Christian wedding that he had previously attended, but he kept the verse portion!

Someone told me "God's intention is always to save". We choose to believe in God's sovereignty! The doctor diagnosed that my FIL probably suffered a cardiac arrest. We may never get an answer, but one thing for sure, he has gone to a better place and one day, we will meet him again!

Like what JX said in the eulogy: "Farewell to a good son, generous brother, faithful husband and responsible father".

No comments: