Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Spelling and 听写

Now in Primary One, Denise has Weekly Spelling and 听写. Every week, I have to go through the words with her and make sure she is well-prepared for them.

However, I have never been good at tuition. During NUS days when most of my friends were giving tuitions to earn extra income, I shunned that option as I was never known to be a patient teacher. I often got impatient after a few rounds of explaining and got frustrated when the children just did not get it!!! I kept telling myself that when it comes to teaching Denise and Debbie, I have to be patient with them.

So far, Denise has been doing well for her weekly mini-tests. She is self-motivated and has no problem completing her homework on her own. But when it comes to learning Hanyu Pinyin, I almost vomitted blood today. She kept giving reasons like she was sleepy, confused, hungry etc... I think all the above were true... BUT she has 听写tomorrow! I need her to be motivated to learn now... And I do not want to crash her confidence by scolding her, in case she ends up hating learning...:(

Sigh, the conclusion is not to revise with her the day before. Always teach a few days in advance so that she can learn a bit at a time...

God, I need patience and I need it NOW!

3 comments:

anonymous said...

That's the only gripe we have about the chinese. We just don't understand why they must be tested on hanyu pinyin. If hanyu pinyin is there to test whether we have the tonation correct then they should consider giving the children an oral test instead. It just doesn't make sense to us

Mummy Kless said...

Ah hahaha.. I thought I was the only Uni student around who did not give tuition! I also couldnt stand students who don't do their homework, can't get it even after explaining 100 times! Looks like you and I are the same!!!

Revise spelling every week.. =( I hope joey doesn't go primary sch so soon..........

red爱pink said...

oh yes yes yes!!!! me too need patience when it comes to teaching own children! facing the same problem with Christal now! hahaha!!!!